Do you have memory problems?
The real cause can be some medications. The doctors dismissed memory losses and mental confusions as a part of the process of aging, but this was in the past.
Nowadays, the scientists are aware that you can avoid loss of memory. Actually, our brain is capable of growing some new cells and it is also able to reshape the connection among them during your life.
People know that alcohol and drug abuse, lack of vitamin B12, sleep deprivation, severe stress, heavy smoking, strike, head injury or illnesses like for example Alzheimer’s can impair the memory.
What is more, some medications can also have a negative influence on your memory.
The prescription medicines can provoke a lot of cognitive health problems such as memory loss. They are divided in the following three categories:
- Statin drug – used for high cholesterol
- Sleeping medicines
- ‘Anti’ drug- such as antihistamine, antibiotic, antidepressant, antihypertensive, antipsychotic, antispasmodic and other. They affect the acetylcholine in the body.
Low level of acetylcholine causes memory loss, dementia, delirium, mental confusion, hallucination, blurred vision. The pills that block the effect of acetylcholine are called antichlinergic. They have side effects such as:
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Bladder control loss
- Difficulty to urinate
20 Drugs which cause memory loss
Richard C Mohs – a former vice-chairman of the Department of Psychiatry composed a list of 20 medicines that cause memory loss. They are:
- Antihistamine – Benadryl, Clistin, Tavist, Vistaril, Dimetane
- Antidepressant – Vivactil, Surmontil, Elavil, , Norpramin, Anafranil, Pamelor.
- High blood pressure drug
- Beta blocker (especially the ones utiized for glaucoma)
- Benzodiazepine – Ativan, Restoril Xanax, Dalmane, Valium, Doral, Librium, Klonopin, Versed.
- Parkinson’s disease – atropine. glycopyrrolate and scopolamine
- Antipsychotic – Mellaril and Haldol.
- Barbiturates –, Nembutal, Phenobarbital, Seconal and Amytal
- Epilepsy – Dilantin and Phenytoin
- Chemotherapy drug
- Antibiotic (quinolone)
- Painkiller – morphine, codeine and heroin.
- Sleeping pill – Ambien, Lunesta and Sonata
Consult your doctor to determine whether some of these medicines is affecting your memory. Sometimes you can use healthier choice or some other drug.
In order to have a healthy brain, you should consume a lot of food supplements, be active and eat healthy food.
Over –the-counter medicines that cause memory loss
Sometimes it doesn’t necessarily mean that prescribed medicines are the cause of your memory loss. Some over-the counter medicines also cause memory loss since they block the action of the acetylcholine neurotransmitter.
Here is the list:
- Zantac (acid reflux)
- Unisom (insomnia)
- Tylenol PM (pain and insomnia)
- Tagamet (acid reflux)
- Sominex (insomnia)
- Pepcid Ac (acid reflux)
- Nytol (insomnia)
- Excedrin PM (pain and insomnia)
- Dramamine (motion sickness)
- Claritin (allergy)
- Benadryl (allergies)
- Advil PM ( pain and sleep) Source:justherbalmedicine.com