Do you know what water retention is?
Water retention is fluid in the cavities and tissues or the circulatory system. This can result in swelling in the legs, hands, feet and ankles. The pregnant women especially have this issue.
This problem can also be experienced by inactive people, for example someone that has been sitting through a long bus trip or flight or someone that is bedridden.
The causes of retention of water are not a life-threatening problem, but still they can point to a serious health problem such as heart failure or kidney disease.
If you do not have a health issue like this, you can avoid retention of the water and ease the swelling with these excellent tricks.
Six tricks to reduce the retention of water:
- Reduce the use of sodium (salt), processed meat, canned vegetables
- Increase the intake of magnesium (eat spinach, peas, nuts and whole grains)
- Increase the intake of Vitamin B6 (eat potato with skin, bananas, tuna, pork)
- Eat more potassium-rich food (eat Brussels sprout, apricots, bananas, beets)
- Consume dandelion
- Reduce the refined carbohydrates (do not eat white flower, table sugar)
Some additional advice to reduce the retention of water:
Some of the advices are not supported by studies, only by anecdotal evidence.
- Drink a lot of water
- Be more active (or at least elevate the feet)
- Use hibiscus
- Use horsetail
- Drink cranberry juice
- Eat parsley
- Consume nettle
- Eat garlic
- Consume corn silk
- Use fennel. Source:healthynaturalteam.com