Mold is a kind of fungus that consists of tiny organisms found almost everywhere. These tiny organisms can be purple, black, green, orange, or white.
They can be found anywhere that oxygen and moisture are present. Outdoors, they break down dead organic matter like dead trees, fallen leaves, and other debris; and indoors, they can occur on insulation, food, carpet, paper, wood, etc.
These tiny organisms thrive on moisture and reproduce by means of lightweight spores, which travel through the air. In small amounts, they tend to be harmless. However, when they land on a damp spot in your home, they may begin to grow, and they may be released into the air where they can be easily inhaled.
Exposure to damp and moldy environments can lead to various health problems. For those who are sensitive to mold, mold exposure can lead to eye irritation, wheezing, coughing, throat irritation, nasal stuffiness, and/or skin irritation.
People with mold allergies can have more severe reactions. Those with chronic lung illnesses like obstructive lung disease, and those with compromised immune systems may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold. They should stay away from areas that have mold, like wooded areas, cut grass, and compost piles.
What’s Mold Illness?
Mold illness is a very prevalent and overlooked condition that manifests in many different ways. Primarily, it’s associated with allergic reactions that mimic seasonal allergies: cough; sore throat; skin rash; itchy, watery eyes; sneezing; and asthma attacks. Other symptoms include:
– Chronic fatigue
– Night sweats
– Morning stiffness
– Mood swings, confusion, brain fog, trouble concentrating, and memory loss
– Anxiety and/or depression
– Recurrent infections
– Tingling and numbness in the feet and hands
– Muscle cramps
– Joint pain
– Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and food sensitivities
– Blurred vision
– Skin irritation
– Frequent urination
– Weight fluctuation
– Sensitivity to light
Chronic Illness Has Been Linked to Long-Term Exposure to Mold:
Mycotoxins are poisonous chemical compounds created by mold. Storage of mycotoxins can occur in various tissues like lymph nodes, spleen, lungs, etc. Prior exposure to mycotoxins and toxic mold may represent a significant feature of chronically ill patients like those with chronic rhinosinusitis and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Once toxic mold has taken long-term residence inside the body, it does not want to leave. “Sick building syndrome” is usually the culprit, and many people with chronic conditions caused by mold exposure do not get better after being removed from the environment—even months or years later.
How to Prevent Mold Buildup and Remove Mold from Your House:
You can prevent mold buildup in your house by repairing any leaks; lowering your indoor humidity; opening a window in the bathroom during showers and baths; regularly washing the garbage cans in your kitchen; etc.
If you have mold in your house, you can use this tea tree oil spray to get rid of it. Tea tree oil is derived from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, which’s a small tree native to New South Wales and Queensland, Australia.
It’s a powerful fungicide; which means it has antifungal properties (it can kill fungi or prevent them from growing.)
Homemade Anti-Mold Spray
Things you will need:
– Two cups of water
– Two teaspoons of tea tree oil
– A spray bottle
Pour the tea tree oil and water in the spray bottle, shake well and spray onto the mold.
Don’t rinse. It should kill the mold infestation in about 24 hours. If there’s residual staining, you can remove it by using borax or baking soda.
Use this spray on a regular basis to keep mold under control.