Have you ever heard of gout? Have you ever experienced it? Those who have, know that gout can be excruciatingly painful. This type of arthritis is accompanied by severe joint pain, especially in the joint of the big toe and is characterized by sever attacks of pain. These attacks usually happen at night and are characterized by swelling, redness and heat near the affected area. The pain from a gout attack can actually be so severe that people sometimes say they can’t even touch the spot. So what causes this excruciatingly painful condition?
Many people believe that gout attacks happen as a result of unhealthy lifestyle, injuries, dehydration, dieting, infections and too much alcohol. However, the truth is that gout is the result of uric acid buildup in the blood.
Uric acid is what remains in the blood after purine metabolism, which is a normal process. This uric acid is then delivered to the kidneys and exits our body through our urine. However, sometimes our body can produce higher amounts of uric acid, something our kidneys can’t deal. This is when the uric acid starts accumulating in our joints in the form of uric acid crystals. These uric acid crystals most commonly build up around the joints of our big toe and that’s when we’re at risk of experiencing gout attacks.
Natural treatments for gout
Now that we know what causes gout, we should see if there’s a way we can reduce or prevent it entirely. If you suffer from chronic gout your doctor has already advised you to take regular medications to keep the condition under control. However, acute gout attacks can be reduced with the help of certain lifestyle modifications.Bottom of Form
But first let’s see some of the main gout attack triggers and find a way to avoid them if you want to prevent them from happening.
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Unhealthy diets
- Diet rich in high-purine foods
- Sodas full of artificial sweeteners
- Joint injury
- Cyclosporine treatment
- Surgery or sudden illness
- Diuretic medications
Tips on reducing your uric acid levels
The best way to treat and prevent gout is to reduce your uric acid levels and the best way to do this is to change your lifestyle. You should start eating healthier, add more fresh, green veggies, wholegrains, fish and lean meat. Avoid fast food, processed food and sodas.
Here are some advices on how to lower your uric acid levels completely naturally:
- Reduce your intake of alcohol
- Eliminate sugary sodas and other beverages
- Avoid foods rich in saturated fats and dairy with high fat content. Steer clear of white bread, cakes and candy
- Avoid foods that contain corn syrup
- Make sure you drink plenty of water, herbal teas and natural juices
- Lower your stress levels
- Try relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, walks in nature, music and anything that keeps you calm
- The recommended daily intake of fish, poultry and lean meat proteins should be 4-6 ounces
- Think about taking vitamin C as a supplement but talk to your doctor before you start
- Slice a lemon in half and squeeze one half in a cup of lukewarm water. Drink it in the morning before eating. This alkalizing drink will increase your alkalinity and prevent uric acid crystallization.
- Add a tablespoon of ACV in a glass of warm water and drink it before dinner and lunch. Drink this tonic every day to prevent uric acid crystals from forming in your joints.
- Add half a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water and drink it every day. This drink, according to studies, is supposed to prevent gout attacks and reduce their severity.
Best foods for gout
- Devil’s Claw’s extract – It has anti-inflammatory properties which help with the condition.
- Parsley – according to studies, parsley is rich in 2 flavonoids which can reduce the uric acid levels in the body.
- Flaxseed – flaxseed is also a proven natural remedy against uric acid crystallization
- Turmeric – turmeric and its active compound curcumin are famous for their anti-inflammatory powers and also improve your kidney function
- Pineapple – contains bromelain which is a compound with analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties
- Cherries, berries and grapes – all of these are rich in proanthocyanidins and anthocyanidins, compounds with powerful anti-inflammatory properties
Natural remedy for gout
You’ll need the following ingredients to prepare this home remedy and relieve your gout:
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 cucumber
- Ginger (2-inch piece)
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
Just toss everything in a blender and pulse until smooth. Drink it right away and consume it every day for best results.