Do you love Philly cheesesteak? Maybe you fear calories? Do not worry, these cabbage wraps are just for you. These are low carbohydrate wraps that are an alternative to swaps made with bread.
The classic cheesesteak from Philadelphia is made with thin pieces of beefsteak, melted cheese a long crusty roll. Some add some sweet or hot peppers or fried onion. These sandwiches are delicious.
The original cheesesteaks were invented by Pat Olivieri in the 1930s.
He was a vendor of hot dogs in South Philadelphia and he put some beef on a grill and added it to an Italian roll. A taxi driver liked the smell and took this sandwich instead of a hotdog.
These sandwiches became really popular. So Pat opened a sandwich shop on Ninth Street. He named it Pat’s King of Steak.
These wraps are a great substitute for the carbohydrates. They also have a lot of benefits for your health. The cabbage is a great vegetable that improves the health of your heart, digestion, etc.
Which are the benefits of the cabbage?
The benefits are:
– It has not more than 20 calories per half of a cup of cooked cabbage. The cabbage is really high in fiber and low in fats and it has no brainer.
– It has a lot of vitamin C and it also has sulfur
– It also contains sulforaphane which is a compound that has the potential to impede or delay cancer.
– Another compound that slows down the growth of cancer cells is Anthocyanin can be found in red cabbage.
– Cabbage also contains flavonoids and anthocyanins and they reduce cardiovascular disease risk, blood pressure, inflammations.
Philly cheesesteak wraps of cabbage
The original version of these cheesesteaks is delicious. However, sometimes we need a lighter menu. The next time when you want these Philly cheesesteaks, try this healthy cabbage version.
Here is the recipe:
- eight big green cabbage leaf
- half of a big onion that needs to be sliced thinly
- two tablespoons of divided vegetable oil
- two big bell peppers that need to be sliced thinly
- one tablespoon of oregano
- Kosher salt
- Ground pepper (black and fresh)
- One lb of skirt steak that needs to be sliced thinly
- six slices of provolone
How to prepare it?
First, boil a big pot with water. Blanch cabbage using tongs by dipping the leaves in the water for about thirty seconds. Put them on a plate with paper towels to dry.
Then heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan using medium heat. Put the bell peppers and the onion inside. You can season it with pepper, salt or oregano. Stir the peppers and onions soften, about five minutes or cook them till it is tender. Remove the peppers and the onions
Put the rest of the oil in the pan. Put the steak in a single layer in the pan and put some seasoning, for example, pepper and salt. Cook each of the sides of the steak for about two minutes.
Put the peppers and the onions in the pan with your steak. To this mixture with the provolone. Cover your pan and cook this until the cheese melts.
Scoop this steak mix on the center of the cabbage leaf. Fold the ends of the leaf over this mix
Roll the leaf in a burrito form with an open end.